Wednesday 29 August 2007

A Press Pass Gets You Access Anywhere!






With the exception of just one or two photographers on the High Street, a Fringe Press pass is an excuse to go places you’re not invited.

With seven years of Fringe photography under my belt I’ve never needed one. A few reasons for this.
I’ve never done this for money, apart for the donations gladly put in my hat at the close of my exhibition.
I don’t sell my images to the Press.
I’ve always been invited into any space or venue by performers.

I get invited, because people have liked what I do and the way I’ve done it.

If I was invited in to a street entertainer’s space on the High Street it was because I know how to move around their space. I understand the risks involved; last year as I was lying on the ground taking a shot a fire torch missed my head by just a few inches. But most of all I know that they have an audience watching their show. The audience are more important than the shot I want. I’ll do my best to get the shot, but to stand in front of people as if you “own the place” is completely the wrong attitude to take.

The appalling nature of press pass holders this year became apparent during the Wedding of Gwen and George. I had been invited along with one or two others to shoot the event. We had a couple of Bill and Bens; press passes in hand wandering around the pitch without a care for the audience. Then of course more press photographers arrived and it was almost a pitch battle for the picture they wanted. I had in the end almost to give up shooting what I wanted in the fear of starting a riot.

A pass may give you the right to shoot anywhere, but at least ask first And at the end of the show add a few £’s to their hat, because if all some people have seen of the show they wanted is your arse the performer deserves all the money you have in your wallet.

Thank goodness there’s a photographer as likeminded as myself in Arch White. He understands the nature of the street. He’ll be quick in getting a shot in a space rejoining the crowd from whence he came until another moment arises. He’ll add a couple of quid to someone’s hat and not spend hours having a statue hold a particular position as a herd of photographers all take the same photograph. And like myself will gladly donate his photographs to street performers and artistes.

I’m so glad I never joined a camera club or society. They may teach you about photography, but they certainly don’t teach you manners.

I have no qualifications in photography, no letters after my name. Just common sense and decency.

No comments: